Nothing shouts South African more than a braai and ouma’s good old ‘melk tert’ recipe for dessert. In true South African spirit we are celebrating National Braai Day with a bang this week and we are excited to try this delicious milk tart recipe with an Angel twist. Try it out and let us know what you think!
- 1 packet Wedgewood Angel biscuits
- 1 litre full-cream milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml white sugar
- 50 ml corn flour
- 25 ml cake flour
- 50 g butter
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling over
*Recipe tested in 900 W microwave oven using 100% Power level throughout
1. Microwave the milk and vanilla seeds together in a large heat-proof bowl for 3-4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, crumble the Angel biscuits into thumb-nail size pieces and use to generously cover the base and sides of a 23cm diameter shallow tart plate.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar thoroughly together. Add both flours. Add this mixture into the hot milk, return it to the microwave and cook for 10 minutes, whisking regularly to ensure a smooth thick sauce.
4. Pour the sauce gently and evenly over the biscuits to fill the tart plate.
5. Set aside to cool down to room temperature, sprinkle generously with ground cinnamon and refrigerate until firm enough to slice into wedges.