Day 13 – Victoria Sandwich Cake
Calling all mini bakers! Learn to bake the best cake ever with your Mum or Dad.
This is the easiest and spongiest Victoria Sandwich cake because you measure everything to the weight of 4 eggs! So here we go….
Gogo’s Delightful Victoria Sandwich Cake
4 x Eggs
Weigh the eggs (whole) and use the same weight to measure each of the following ingredients:
Self-Raising Flour (or Cake Flour plus 1.5 x teaspoons baking powder)
1 x teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Turn your oven to 180 degrees. Measure all the ingredients to the same weight of the 4 eggs. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into another mixing bowl and whisk them together until pale and fluffy. Continue to whisk and slowly add in the egg. If it starts to curdle add a spoonful of the flour and continue. Beat the eggs into the mixture and add in the vanilla essence. Finally with a spatula or spoon fold the flour into the mixture (don’t over mix at this stage).
Grease 2 x spring-form round tins (7”). Split the mixture between the two tins. Use a spatula to ease the mixture in the edges but don’t flatten. It will bake flat in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes (but don’t peak until 25 mins otherwise it will go flat.
Remove from your oven when cooked and run a knife around the edge. Press up the bottom of the tin and remove the cake with a metal spatula or knife and lay on a wire rack to cool.
280g Icing Sugar
1 x Tablespoon Milk
¼ x Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Bang these altogether in a mixing bowl and whisk till fluffy. Smear the top of one of the cakes with this lavish butter icing and the other with strawberry or raspberry jam. Carefully turn one cake over to lay over the other and serve with tea.
April 2020 -
- - Wedgewood Chocolate and Cranberry Florentines
- - Gilly’s Famous Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- - Gilly’s Moist Choc-A-Block Cake
- - Wedgewood Mother’s Day Mochaccino Macalettes Cake
- - Wedgewood Salted Caramel Sauce
- - Day 35 – Artisanal white bread recipe
- - Day 30 – almond, date & apricot snack bars
- - Super Duper Double Chocolate Hideaway Cake
- - Gogo’s Coffee Cake
- - Day 13 – Victoria Sandwich Cake
- - Day 9 – 2 recipes in 1!
- - Day 8 – The Ultimate Brownies
- - Day 7 – Lemon Meringue Pie
- - Day 6 – Gilly’s simple bread recipe