Wedgewood Nougat Hot Cross Buns
4 x Cups Sieved Flour
2 x Cups Milk
2 x Eggs
½ Cup Melted Butter
2 Packets of Dried Yeast
½ Cup Castor Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ Cup Candied Mixed Peel
¾ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 x Cup Chopped Wedgewood Nougat
Honey for glazing
For The Cross
½ Cup of Flour
¼ Cup of Water
Combine all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl. Then mix the butter, eggs and milk together with a fork in a separate bowl. Add the contents of wet mix to the dry mix….with your hands (Yes! the messy bit!) and blend the ingredients in the bowl until the mixture resembles a ball. Now turn it out onto a floured surface and continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes (think of it as culinary gym!) Do this until the dough is elastic and smooth (or you are exhausted!)
Put the dough into a bowl and cover with cling film and place in a nice warm spot to allow to rise for an hour. And have a nice cup of tea and an Angels biscuit!
Now put the dough back on the floured surface and knead again for a few minutes. Cut the dough into pieces the size of an apple and shape into rounds. Arrange these in a snug greased baking tray. Cover again with cling film and allow your buns to rise for a further 30 minutes. With 15 minutes to go, turn your oven to 180 degrees.
To make the crosses, mix the flour and water together and pipe over the buns before placing them into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until the buns are golden.
Remove from the oven and brush the hot buns with honey. Eat fresh or keep in an airtight container once cooled and then toast before serving with honey and butter. The nougat will be toasted inside. An extra surprise treat!
April 2020 -
- - Wedgewood Chocolate and Cranberry Florentines
- - Gilly’s Famous Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- - Gilly’s Moist Choc-A-Block Cake
- - Wedgewood Mother’s Day Mochaccino Macalettes Cake
- - Wedgewood Salted Caramel Sauce
- - Day 35 – Artisanal white bread recipe
- - Day 30 – almond, date & apricot snack bars
- - Super Duper Double Chocolate Hideaway Cake
- - Gogo’s Coffee Cake
- - Day 13 – Victoria Sandwich Cake
- - Day 9 – 2 recipes in 1!
- - Day 8 – The Ultimate Brownies
- - Day 7 – Lemon Meringue Pie
- - Day 6 – Gilly’s simple bread recipe